Pages

Friday 6 March 2015

Alterna Bamboo Smooth Anti-Breakage Thermal Protectant Spray - Review



I picked up this product just before Christmas during that Sephora sale. I was desperate to find something to replace the original Bumble and Bumble Straight product line that was discontinued. I picked this up on a whim; it was actually another Alterna product that I had planned to get. The bottle is 4.2 oz. or 125ml. It's $31 Canadian or $25 U.S. I got 20% off when I bought it so it was a good deal.

This product is supposed to protect your hair up to 428 degrees F or 220 C. I would think and say that that claim seems accurate. It is also suppose to smooth, detangle, soften, repair, moisturize, strengthen your hair and turn water into wine. Okay, I am kidding about the last part. I would have to agree that this product does all of that. My hair is so soft and manageable when I use this, I am constantly amazed. In many ways it is an all in one product. My only main criticism would be that it can flatten your hair if you are not careful and if you want volume, this is not the product for you. You may need to add another product to the roots or what have you to do that. I will be very interested to see how this product performs when summer rolls around and humidity sets in. I think it may be a God send and perhaps then I will have more natural controlled body in my hair. I will update you when the time comes.

I have naturally curly hair and sometimes if I am in a rush, I just put this on my wet hair and go. I find it gives my hair waves and the curl kind of disappears (which for me is a good thing). There isn't much body to my hair when I do that though. This product really works best when you blow dry your hair or use a straightener with it. This product makes frizz disappear and helps seal my ends. If you are like me and you can't wash your hair every day, this product is so conditioning that your hair can start to look a bit greasy sooner rather than later so you need to keep that in mind. You are fine for a couple of days, after that not so much.

The actual product or formula is very thick. If I turn the bottle upside down, nothing seems to move. It's like a Dairy Queen Blizzard.

The bottle comes in a spray pump container and I would caution you to be careful when you use this mechanism. I found out the hard way a few times. I have checked online and I am not the only person to complain about the spray nozzle on this thing. A lot comes out when you spray it, and it never seems to make contact with my hair. Time and time again it all seemed to land on my neck and slowly drip down. It was not a pleasant feeling. I quickly smartened up and now I spray it into my hands and then work it through the hair. Works a hell of a lot better. Alterna should just put this in a squeeze tube or something and have done with it.

The plastic bottle is attractive for what it is and it's sleek. You could travel with easily enough. It has a strange smell but I quickly got used to it. It reminds me of swimming pools, suntan lotion and shampoo from a bygone era. It isn't a bad smell in my book, but it may not be for everyone. Overall, I really like this product and I am super tempted to give the rest of the Alterna line a try!

Packaging: 8/10 (spray nozzle is terrible)
Easy to Work With: 10/10
Touchable Hair: 10/10
Humidity Resistance: 10/10 (so far only tested in winter)
Hold: 8/10
Volumizing: 2/10
Price: 7.5/10
Ingredients: 8/10
Value for Money: 10/10
Would I buy this again? Yes
Overall Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment