Pages

Wednesday 5 March 2014

Makeup Geek Eye Shadows in Duchess, Creme Brulee and Frappe - Review and Swatches


I recently purchased two new eye shadows from Makeup Geek. They are Crème Brulee and Frappe. Jaclyn Hill on YouTube was extolling the virtues of these two and of course they looked fabulous on her! You should check her out if you haven't already. Anyway, I figured I had a million eye shadows just like those two, but hey for $5.99 U.S., I thought "what the hell?". I really, really like them, but I will get to that in a sec.

I discovered a few weeks ago, much to my horror, that I had a Makeup Geek eye shadow still in the package in a box that I was throwing out! Ahhhhhh! How stupid of me. This is what happens when you own too much makeup my friends. The colour is Duchess which is a royal violet colour. I have to say that I think I like this purple the best of the Makeup Geek purples. The colour isn't chalky, is well pigmented and blends well. It's also the nicest purple they have colour-wise in my opinion.

Okay, back to the other two. Crème Brulee is the one on the top row next to Duchess above. Crème Brulee is described as a medium sand colour. I think it's more like a peach sand colour. Looks great in the crease or blended in with a darker crease colour like Frappe. Crème Brulee is a warm shade. It blends well, has decent pigment and is actually a bit different from other similar colours that I have in my collection. A pleasant surprise!

Here are the swatches (L to F - Duchess, Crème Brulee and Frappe):




On to Frappe. It's a medium maple brown matte. I love this colour! It is more cool toned, which is right up my alley. It reminds me a bit of MAC's Wedge, but Frappe is more of a Satin and is a bit warmer. Dare I say, it is more pigmented than MAC's Wedge.....may lightning strike me now.....I think I will be using Frappe in the crease for a classic look on a go forward basis and I will put Wedge on the back burner. Yes, I like it that much. I still love Wedge though, but Frappe is cheaper and a bit more bold yet still subtle, if that makes any sense.

If you don't have Frappe or Crème Brulee, you need them. It's that simple. These two would definitely be on my Top 10 Makeup Geek (MUG) eye shadow list if I were to do it again. Duchess is nice, but is not a must have.

Packaging: 10/10  
Pigmentation: 10/10
Easy to Work With: 10/10
Longevity: 10/10 Crème Brulee and Frappe   8.5/10 Duchess
Colour Stays True: 10/10
Texture: 8.5/10
Price: 10/10
Ingredients: 9/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 10/10
Would I buy this again? Yes to Frappe and Crème Brulee and a Solid Maybe for Duchess

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how preferences differ between people. Looking at your swatches, I'd jump all over Duchess and pass on the other two. They're all really nicely pigmented though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally, I would prefer Duchess too but the quality of the other two is phenomenal.

      Delete