Pages

Saturday 15 March 2014

Estee Lauder Pure Color 01 Vanilla Pods Eyeshadow Duo - Review and Swatches


I have wanted this eye shadow duo for a couple of years now. I saw it at the Estee Lauder/MAC sale back in the Fall so I snatched it up. I think I paid about $14 for it. It normally retails for $36 Canadian or $30 U.S.. The eye shadow on the left looks like a shimmery cream sand colour and on the right is a sparkly taupe pewter colour which has notes of silver, brown and purple in it. I wore the left side one day on its own with some black gel liner and it was a big bore. Looks matte and not a good matte! There was nothing interesting or unique about the colour. I thought the quality was so-so. It wasn't chalky but it also wasn't soft nor silky to the touch.


When I wore the two together, with some black gel liner, the result was much different. I sometimes find that some eye shadow duos, trios or palettes have colours that only work with the accompanying colour(s). On their own, they aren't always the cat's ass. That is certainly the case here. These two work perfectly together and are very complimentary of each other. This eye shadow duo would probably look good on almost anyone. It looks like expensive makeup when it is on. It is very classy and sophisticated looking.


While I think $36 is a lot for a duo, you get a lot of product in this palette. Both eye shadows are 0.12 oz. or 3.5g total. Both colours are very pigmented and a little of this product goes a long way. It will likely be an eternity before I hit pan on this one. These colours would also work with almost any outfit. The colours are super easy to apply and it's difficult to screw up a look with these two. If you had to travel for a couple of days, were pressed for time and didn't know what makeup to take, I would just pack this with some eyeliner and mascara for the eyes part of things. A total no brainer. My only complaints about this duo is the price and the fact that I think the sand colour on the left could have better texture. These are long wearing shadows though, creamy and are both well pigmented. Here are the swatches:


 
 
Packaging: 10/10  
Pigmentation: 10/10
Easy to Work With: 10/10
Longevity: 10/10
Colour Stays True: 10/10
Texture: 6/10
Price: 6/10
Ingredients: 7.5/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 10/10
Would I buy this again? Yes
Overall Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment