Pages

Thursday 26 September 2013

Makeup Geek Eyeshadows in Chickadee and Peach Smoothie - Review and Swatches



I'm back to my Makeup Geek (MUG) eyeshadow reviews. After this review, I only have 3 left in my stash to try and then I will give you a best and worst list. I promised it for you guys by the end of September so I better get cracking!

In the above picture I have Peach Smoothie on the left and Chickadee on the right. I bought Peach Smoothie in a compact because MUG was sold out of the pan refill at the time. Also, my large Z palette is full so it seemed like an ok idea at the time. Peach Smoothie is supposed to be a dupe for MAC's Samoa Silk which is being discontinued. I got Chickadee ages ago in a set of eyeshadows that I bought from Makeup Geek. I didn't like the colour and wasn't thrilled to get it, so it sat and sat in my vanity drawer forever......

Here are the swatches. I have MAC's Samoa Silk on the left, Peach Smoothie in the middle and Chickadee on the right.


Okay, let's start with Peach Smoothie. First of all, I don't think it is a good dupe for MAC's Samoa Silk. It's a substitution, albeit a cooler, more subtle version, but not a great dupe. Samoa Silk is more orange and warm. Peach Smoothie is less orange, more peach and is a cooler colour. Since I prefer cooler shades on my skin tone, Peach Smoothie looks better on me than Samoa Silk I think. For those of you who love the warmth of Samoa Silk, Peach Smoothie may leave you disappointed. It's a personal preference basically. Peach Smoothie blends easily but I think falls down in pigmentation. I have to really work with it and apply it several times to get the desired effect that I want. It is smooth, creamy and not chalky.

MAC's Samoa Silk on the other hand, has better pigmentation, blends and applies easily with little effort. Since I prefer the colour of Peach Smoothie, I can't say that I am sad that Samoa Silk is going the way of the dinosaur. I just wish MUG would improve the pigmentation of Peach Smoothie.

Chickadee.....I didn't think I would like it and guess what? I don't. I have no qualm with the quality of this eyeshadow. It is very pigmented, blends easily, isn't chalky and is very long lasting. Kudos to MUG for that. I just hate the colour and it makes me look ill. It's way too warm for me and reminds me of a smear of iodine. Honestly, I think some people will love this colour if they are warm toned and are into this colour. This would be a good choice for darker skin tones to blend out the crease etc. but I just don't like it for me.

Packaging: 9/10 (compact looks a bit cheap but the pan refill is 10/10 of course)   
Pigmentation: 4/10 Peach Smoothie   10/10 Chickadee
Easy to Work With: 5/10 Peach Smoothie   10/10 Chickadee
Longevity: 7/10 Peach Smoothie   10/10 Chickadee
Colour Stays True: 10/10 for both colours
Texture: 10/10 Peach Smoothie   10/10 Chickadee
Price: 10/10
Ingredients: 9/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 8/10 Peach Smoothie   2/10 Chickadee (on me)
Would I buy this again? Yes to Peach Smoothie and No to Chickadee

Overall Rating:

8/10 Peach Smoothie  
                          
9/10 Chickadee (if you have warm tones but a much lower rating if you are cool toned)

No comments:

Post a Comment