Pages

Wednesday 13 March 2013

Sigma Spa Brush Cleaning Glove - Review

 
 
The moment I saw this product, I had to have it. In my mind's eye, I have been dreaming about a product like this and Sigma has come very close to nailing it. I have a lot of brushes. I am talking about 50 or more. I take my brushes very seriously as an investment. I own a lot of MAC brushes and I also own a bunch of Sigma, Real Techniques, EcoTools, Louise Young, Sonia Kashuk etc. These brushes overall cost me a lot of money. I take good care of them and their longevity is paramount to me. Yes, this "oven glove" as some people have called it, is $39 U.S. I got 10% off of course, but this is still a pricey tool. No bones about it. I have been blown away by how reviled and trashed this product is online by some blog readers. I swear there are more haters of this glove than there are PETA members! A common thread of the "haters" seems to be those that don't own this glove. Surprise, surprise.  As I always say, "don't knock it until you've tried it".
 
Emily from Beauty Broadcast was practically lynched on YouTube for giving this glove a positive review. Insane! Let the woman say her peace and if you want to buy it, do, and if you don't, don't. It's that simple. Hello, it's a silicone glove people, not the plague! I am not a Sigma affiliate and maybe one day I will consider it, but I am not at present. I paid for this glove with my own hard earned money and this, I swear, is an honest review.
 
I hate washing my brushes. I always get dish pan hands when I do and I HATE that! Also, I never feel like I am really getting a good, deep down clean just by swirling my soapy brushes in my palm over and over again. This process takes forever and I usually only do a few at a time. I have better things to do than stand over a sink half of the night cleaning makeup brushes. I kept thinking over the years, there has to be a better way. Enter Sigma's Spa Brush Cleaning Glove.
 

There are two sides to this glove. One is for face brushes and one is for eye brushes. The nubs are different sizes appropriately. Each side of the glove has a special place for washing, rinsing, refining and shaping. As you can see, I got the black glove. Figured it would show the least wear and tear over the years. This glove really works well I think. I washed about 20 brushes tonight in less time than washing 10 brushes usually takes me. The nubs really concentrate the brush cleanser and get in there for a complete and fast clean. You wear the glove on your right hand for doing eye brushes and your left for face brushes. The refining sections are really fantastic. I love this product and it will change the way I wash brushes forever. No more dish pan hands!

I only have 3 issues with this product. One, the price is ridiculous. I bet this didn't even cost Sigma $10 to make. It was likely less than $5! Still, for me, it is worth the money with the time I am going to save alone. I do think Sigma should be charging $20. Second, the inner white glove is cheap and is scratchy as all hell! Make sure your hands are well moisturized before you put this on or you are in for a nasty treat. Finally, my third issue is with the thumb area for the "shaping". I don't really find that it gets out a lot of the water, especially on the smaller brushes, and I don't think it does a great job of shaping my brushes.

If you only own 5 brushes or your total brush collection cost you less than this glove, than by all means pass on this purchase. You likely don't need it. I love this glove for saving my hands and for doing a better job than my hands do in a fraction of the time. I would only recommend buying this glove if you have an extensive brush collection or you hate washing your brushes with a passion with your hands or you have money to burn. If 2 or 3 apply, I think the choice is clear. Most palettes cost more than $39 so I fail to see why people are so up in arms about this product. I can't tell you how pleased I was to finally get this in the mail. It will change my world and I can guarantee that it will be on my Best of 2013 when the time comes (as long as it doesn't fall apart). Consider giving the glove some love! That sounded cheesy.....sorry!

Packaging: 8/10
Price: 4/10
Works Well: 9/10 (would be a 10/10 but the thumb/shaping feature isn't great)
Easy to Work With: 9/10 (switching hands is a bit annoying and the inner glove itches)  
Travel Worthy: 7/10 (it's a bit big but light and compact - don't think I would travel with it though) 
Would I buy this again? Hope I never have to but I would.   
Overall Rating: 8.5/10


 

1 comment:

  1. As long as you get quality use out of it, I say screw the haters. :) But yeah, the price is a bit too steep.

    Gregoria Gorham

    ReplyDelete